Magistrate Judge Kristen L. Mix was appointed to the federal bench in 2007 and retired in August 2023. Prior to her judicial service, Judge Mix was recognized as a top employment lawyer by Chambers U.S.A. and named one of the top twenty-five women lawyers in Colorado by 5280 Magazine.
Judge Mix was on the Executive Committee of the Federal Magistrate Judges Association from 2017 to 2021 and acted as President in 2021 and 2022.
As a member of the Sedona Conference and the Sedona Advisory Board, Judge Mix assisted in drafting the Commentary on Possession, Custody and Control of documents under Fed. R. Civ. P. 34 and the Social Media Primer. In 2023 Judge Mix was appointed to the Global Advisory Council of the Electronic Discovery Research Module.
In 2006, Kris Mix was appointed by Governor Bill Owens to serve on the Colorado Commission on Family Medicine and was Chair of the Commission from 2013-2017. During that time, Judge Mix was a member and Chair of the Board of Directors of the Colorado Institute of Family Medicine.
Magistrate Judge Mix has taught at the Colorado School of Law and University of Denver College of Law as an adjunct professor.
Judge Mix is available now to set Mediation/Arbitration/Special Master hearings beginning October 9, 2023.
Federal Court Magistrate Judge Colorado 2007-2023
Middlebury College, Cum Laude, English.
University of Colorado School of Law, JD
- Federal Magistrate Judge – Federal District Court, District of Colorado from 2007 to August 2023
- Joined JAG in 2023
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Colorado College of Law and University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Recognized as a top employment lawyer by Chambers U.S.A. and named one of the top twenty-five women lawyers in Colorado by 5280 Magazine in 2006-2007
- Served as a member of the Federal Magistrate Judges Association’s Executive Committee from 2017 to 2021 and as President of the FMJA in 2021-2022
- Past Chair of the Colorado Judicial Coordinating Council
- Served on the Colorado Access to Justice Commission from 2019-2022
- Member of the Sedona Conference. Assisted in drafting the Commentary on Possession, Custody and Control of documents under Fed. R. Civ. P. 34 and the Social Media Primer
- Serves on Sedona’s Advisory Board
- Appointed to the Global Advisory Council of EDRM, the Electronic Discovery Research Module
- Served on the Judicial Conference of the United States’ Committee on the Administration of the Magistrate Judge System
- Appointed by Governor Bill Owens to serve on the Colorado Commission on Family Medicine and as Chair of the Commission from 2013 to 2017
- Served as a member and Chair of the Board of Directors of the Colorado Institute of Family Medicine from 2013 to 2018
- Co-founder of the Colorado Intellectual Property American Inn of Court and
served on the Executive Committee of the Sonia Sotomayor American Inn of Court
Community and Professional Activities
Continues to serve as Co-chair of the Court’s Pro Se Prisoner Task Force
Created an annual public-service internship program for local, diverse second and third-year law students to obtain internships with public employers and non-profits in the Denver metropolitan area
Loves to refresh old family cooking recipes
Attends a variety of live music events, from the CSO to Bruce