Former Chief Judge Emily E. Anderson is delighted to join JAG after serving nearly 20 years on the bench in Denver, Adams, and Broomfield counties.
- As Chief Judge of the 17th Judicial District, she presided over hundreds of probate hearings while leading one of the largest metropolitan judicial districts through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As a district court judge, she spent most of her time handling the civil docket and presiding over modest to complex cases in every area of the law. She has handled hundreds of trials in civil and domestic relations.
- As a magistrate, she managed voluminous dockets and earned the reputation of being fair, compassionate, and hard-working, and having an exceptional demeanor with self-represented litigants.
- As an attorney and litigator, she ran her own law firm for eleven years, handling complex domestic relations cases and civil matters.
- She received the Colorado Women’s Bar Association 2020 Judicial Excellence Award and the 2013 Colorado Judicial Institute’s Judicial Excellence Award. She held numerous leadership positions in the CWBA, CBA, and LGBT bar associations.
Judge Anderson has a demeanor that easily connects with lawyers and their clients. She is passionate about ADR, she is hard-working, and she brings her enthusiasm and high energy to JAG.
Chief Judge Emily E. Anderson looks forward to helping you and your clients find solutions and resolution in your cases.
17th Judicial District Court Chief Judge 2019-present
17th Judicial District Court Judge 2014 – 2019
17th Judicial District Court Magistrate, 2005 – 2013
Denver County Court Part-Time Magistrate, 2001 – 2005
University of Denver College of Law, JD 1989
The Colorado College, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Cum Laude, 1986
- 17th Judicial District Executive Committee, 2018-present
- Chief Judge Council, 2019-present
- Supreme Court of Colorado Disciplinary Review Board, 2018-present
- Adams County Community Corrections Board, 2019-present
- Executive Leadership Development (ELD) for the Colorado Judicial Branch, 2018 graduate
- Chair, SCAO Judicial Education distance learning training project for judicial officers and court staff on Working with Self-Represented Litigants, a five-part video series, 2018
- Colorado Supreme Court Judge and Lawyer Well-being Task Force, 2018 – present
- Peer to Peer Judge Coaching program (Colorado Judicial Education), executive council, 2018 – present; Peer to Peer Judge Coaching training, 2019 graduate
- Judicial Education Liaison to the Colorado Judicial Education Committee for the 17th JD, 2015 – 2019
- Annual Judicial Conference Planning Committee, 2014 – 2017
- Access to Justice Committee for the 17th JD, 2016 – 2019
- Adams County Bench Bar Committee, 2015 – 2019
- Juvenile Services Planning Committee 17th Judicial District, Chair 2008 – 2012; 17th JD representative 2008 – 2018
- National Association of Women Judge’s Association, Board member & District 12 Director (5 states), 2016 – 2019
- Colorado Lawyers Helping Lawyer Board Member, Co-Founder of Women’s Support Group, Crisis hotline, 2010 – 2017 • Colorado Women’s Bar Association (CWBA), Board of Directors for thirteen years
- President-Elect 2006
- Vice-President 2005
- Treasurer 2003
- Convention Chair 2006 – 2009, 2012
- LGBT Bar Association Representative 1999 – 2002
- CWBA nominating committee 2015, 2016
- CWBA Foundation, Board of Directors for eight years
- Vice-President 2009 – 2013
- Secretary 2005-07, Treasurer 2003
- LGBT Bar Association, Board of Directors, 1999 – 2002
- The GLBT Center, Board of Directors, 2001 – 2005
- Chair of Legal Services Committee 2001 – 2005
- The GLBT Center, Colorado Legal Initiatives Project (CLIP), Legal Panel Member and Volunteer Attorney, 1996 – 2005
Community and Professional Activities
- Presenter, Colorado Women’s Bar Association “Storming the Bench,” on the judicial nomination process, 2020
- Presenter, “Dealing with Difficult Opposing Counsel,” a professionalism program for young lawyers, November 2019
- Presenter, Colorado Supreme Court “You Be the Judge,” a program to assist historically under-represented candidates apply for judicial openings, April 2019
- Author, “A View from the Bench: Effective De-Escalation Techniques,” Association of Family and Conciliation Courts Colorado (AFCC), Spring 2019
- Presenter, Colorado Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission Training video, 2017
- Presenter, COLAP Judicial Roundtable on Wellbeing, 2017-present
- Presenter, “Nuts & Bolts” videos for judicial education training on family law and case management, 2016, 2018
- Presenter, Colorado New Judge Orientation, 2017-present on working with self-represented litigants
- Presenter and organizer for “Prevention & Recognizing Compassion Fatigue,” at the 2015 Colorado Judicial Conference to judicial officers and their spouses.
- Presenter, 2015 Annual Family Law Institute, on “Best Interests of Children.”
- Presenter, 2015 Domestic Relations Best Practices Court Institute for Judges, Magistrates, Family Court Facilitators and Sherlock’s
- Co-Author, “The Modern Family Court Judge-More than Just Pots and Pans,” The Colorado Lawyer, August 2015.
- Presenter, CBA/CLE Evidence Practicum for Family Lawyers 2014, 2015
- CWBA & Project Safeguard Permanent Protection Order Training Program, 2014, 2016
- Presenter, CBA/CLE Family Law Basic Skills CLE, judge panel 2015, 2018, 2019
- Presenter, ABA YLD 4-Corners CLE, “Tips from the Bench: How Young Lawyers Can Survive & Thrive in the Courtroom,” 2015
- Presenter, Larimer County Bar Association “Getting Benched” and Colorado Women’s Bar Association “Storming the Bench,” on the judicial nomination process, 2014
- 2020 Colorado Women’s Bar Association Judicial Excellence Award Recipient
- Outstanding Service Award, Colorado Bar Association, 2012
- Outstanding Public Service Award, Juvenile Services Planning Committee for the 17th JD, 2012
- Distinguished Community Service Award, The GLBT Center, 9th Joker’s Jewels & Justice, 2006
- Barrister of the Year Nominee, Colorado Legal Initiatives Project (CLIP) 1999, 2005