During her time on the bench, Judge Arkin handled mixed dockets involving criminal, civil, probate, mental health, juvenile, and domestic cases, while in her final 7 years she handled 100% domestic relations dockets. In 1984, as a practicing attorney, she successfully argued the first Georgia Supreme Court case interpreting the Georgia Domestic Relations Long-Arm Statute, and in 1989 she won the first Georgia jury trial involving the introduction of DNA evidence. After becoming a member of the Colorado bar in 1994, she participated in the committee that drafted and helped enact Colorado’s Parental Responsibility statute, and was actively involved in the legislative effort to pass the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act. With JAG, Judge Arkin provides mediation, arbitration, ENA/ENE, special master, and appointed judge services.
She is a frequent lecturer and author in the areas of family law, DNA evidence, unbundled legal services, and jurisdiction. For 15 months following her retirement from the bench, Judge Arkin formed and was the Director of The Self-Represented Resource Center™ (SRRC) at The Harris Law Firm. The SRRC was created by Judge Arkin and Rich Harris to provide affordable unbundled legal services to individuals who were handling their domestic relations matters without attorney representation. In 2015, Judge Arkin was chosen as the Court Judge Honoree for the Colorado Judicial Excellence Award. Additionally, she has been recognized for her service to the domestic relations bench, bar, and Colorado families.
- Joined JAG in 2017
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Denver College of Law
- Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Court Judge Honoree for the Colorado Judicial Excellence Award
- Barrister’s Best: Family Law Lawyer, Law Week Colorado in September 2016
- Colorado Super Lawyer, 2017, for her work on the SSRC
Community and Professional Activities
- Secretary of the CBA Judicial Liaison Section
- Co-Editor, Author and Reviser of the CBA Bench Bar Book on Domestic Relations
- Serves on the Colorado Child Support Commission
- Douglas County Domestic Relations Best Practices Team
- Serves on the Attorney General’s Domestic Violence/ Sexual Assault Prevention and Intervention Convening
- Volunteers as a mediator at the Douglas County District Court
- Academy Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (CO Chapter)