French served on the district court bench for nine years handling a combined dockets of civil, domestic, mental health and criminal cases. This caseload included domestic cases, personal injury, professional malpractice, employment discrimination and complex commercial cases.
While on the bench, French regularly taught classes to Colorado judges and still serves as a co-dean of New Judge Orientation for newly appointed judicial officers in Colorado. French also serves as a mentor for judges on behalf of the Colorado Judicial Department.
French served as a deputy district attorney in Denver following graduation from the University of Colorado School of Law, and left that office as a chief deputy district attorney. He then worked in private practice for 25 years in Denver and Fort Collins before he took the bench. In private practice, he had a diverse practice including professional malpractice defense, insurance defense, plaintiff’s personal injury, commercial litigation, and trademark infringement cases. He is a member of the bar in Colorado and Wyoming, and tried cases in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.
District Court Judge, 8th Judicial District, Colorado.
- Deputy District Attorney and Chief Deputy District Attorney, 2nd Judicial District, Colorado.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”) Judicial Excellence Award.
Community and Professional Activities
- Instructor for National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- Dean, New Judge Orientation, Colorado Judicial Department.
Articles, Publications & Lectures
- Frequent lecturer on trial advocacy, including lectures before Colorado Trial Lawyer’s Association, Colorado Insurance Defense Lawyers, Colorado District Attorney’s Association, Larimer County Bar Association, Weld County Bar Association, Wyoming Bar Association, University of Colorado School of Law, and University of Denver Sturm College of Law.
“Ethics and Persuasion: Right Makes Might in the Courtroom”, Trial Magazine, April 1995.
“K.I.S.S. In the Courtroom”, Trial Magazine, November 1992.
“Practical Persuasion Principles: Art and Science in the Courtroom”, The Colorado Lawyer, June 1990.
“The Persuasion Equation: Keys to Courtroom Excellence”, published by the Colorado Bar Association, CLE in Colo., Inc., 1995.
“Trial Themes and Trial Stories: Building Blocks for Success at Trial”, Trial Diplomacy Journal, Winter 1989.