Judge Murphy presided over Probate cases for 7 years including over 5,000 hearings. In addition, Patrick Murphy presided over water, civil, criminal, domestic relations, juvenile, and mental health dockets.
Prior to going on the bench, Patrick Murphy was in private practice for 22 years exclusively doing litigation in both federal and state court. He was both a plaintiff and defense attorney in a wide range of complex cases including medical malpractice, personal injury, civil rights, commercial contracts and white-collar criminal.
Patrick Murphy served on various state commissions and is active in numerous state and federal organizations. During Judge Murphy’s 44 years as an attorney, he has been honored with awards for both community and legal service. Judge Murphy graduated from the University of Colorado Law School in 1975.
Community and Professional Activities
- Served on Underfunded Courthouse Commission
- President of Student Bar Association
- Served on Blue Ribbon Commission on Bail Reform
- Started Judges Against Hunger (purchased and distributed over 55,000 pounds of pinto beans) with Food Bank of Rockies
- Served on two state commissions
- Coached 38 youth basketball and baseball teams
- Coached Broomfield High School Mock Trial Team
- Received Heart of Broomfield for Community Service 2014
- Served on Board for Faculty of Federal Advocates