Judge Pratt served as the presiding civil court judge from 2007 to 2018, and subsequently became the presiding probate, trusts & estates Judge, with a significant domestic relations docket. During his judicial career, Judge Pratt tried hundreds of cases and issued countless opinions covering a wide range of complex, high profile, large dollar cases.
Judge Pratt is a graduate of Colorado State University where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, following with a career in banking in Denver. In 1983, he received both his law degree and MBA from the University of Denver. Prior to his judicial appointment in 2005, he spent over twenty years as a commercial and civil trial attorney with both national and regional law firms.
Judge Pratt has lectured to a variety of business and legal groups and participated in panel discussions on a wide variety of legal matters including banking, real estate, insurance, personal injury, and medical and legal malpractice claims. Judge Pratt is a native of Colorado.
- Speaker and presenter – including: Civil Courts Judicial Reform, Foreclosure Procedure and Practices, Work Place Discrimination, Advanced Discovery and Trial Practice, Civil Court Procedure, and Tactics Guide for Attorneys.
- Community Corrections Board 2012-2018
- Arapahoe County Judicial Coordinating Committee 2010-2015
- Leadership Denver, Class of 1996, Leadership Denver Association – Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce.
- Testified before the Colorado Legislature on insurance, real estate and community associations legislation.
Community and Professional Activities
- American Inn of Court, Minoru Yasui Inn of Court 2010 – Present President 2014-2015, and current President-Elect.
- Colorado Chapter, American Diabetes Association , Chairman 1997.
- Elected 2009 – Fellow of the Advanced Science and Technology Adjudication Resource Center.
- Colorado Bar Foundation and Arapahoe County Bar Foundation.
- Colorado and Arapahoe County Bar Associations, past/present member Business Law Section Inter-professional Committee, and Access to Justice Committee
- Enjoys adventure travel, from climbing in Andes to scuba diving off Borneo.
- Completed Ride the Rockies six times.